short film reviews, criticism, and occasional musing.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Shall We Dance? (1995, Japan)

I have a hard time thinking of another film that’s as guileless and charming as Shall We Dance? Taking time off from some of his more intense work in the films of Kiyoshi Kurosawa and Shohei Imamura, Koji Yakusho plays a serious-minded salaryman who becomes entranced by ballroom dancing, a pastime he must hide from his family and co-workers, as dancing is seen as inappropriately intimate in Japanese society. Yakusho’s excellent performance is supported by a strong cast, in particular the bizarre Naoto Takenake as a Rumba-obsessed co-worker and Reiko Kusamura as their sweet middle-aged dance instructor. This was my second viewing of Dance, and it didn’t lose any of its appeal on repeat. Its pleasures are largely conventional, but they are so sincerely executed and professionally rendered that Dance reminded me why I go to the movies.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stacey Earley said...

Koji Yakusho is amazing. I keep waiting for the big US break for him, and for the gorgeous Todanobu Asano. Come to think of it, I guess I prefer they remain our little secret.

Stacey/Kentucky

9:13 AM

 
Blogger molly m. said...

i heart tadanobu asano so much. have you seen last life in the universe or bright future?

the only english-language film i've seen yakusho in was the horrific memoirs of a geisha. kind of felt bad for him.

10:09 AM

 
Blogger Stacey Earley said...

I forgot he was in Memoirs of a Geisha. Yuck.

I've seen Last Life and Bright Future. Both are so lovely. Have you seen Electric Dragon 80,000 V? S-s-sexy...

1:38 PM

 
Blogger molly m. said...

i haven't! netflixing it up . . .

3:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home