short film reviews, criticism, and occasional musing.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rachel Getting Married (2008, USA)

I haven’t been a fan of Jonathan Demme’s work over the last decade or so, but I was sucked in by the baldly emotional Rachel Getting Married. The cast is superb – I was particularly impressed by Bill Irwin, Rosemarie DeWitt and Tunde Adebimpe – and the story bounces back and forth between the happy moments leading up to a large family wedding, and the raw, more painful ones that well up from family history. It’s a tension between the immediate and the historical, an examination about how nothing is ever truly buried or forgotten, and how the best parts of life are often necessarily intertwined with the worst.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacey Earley said...

I loved this movie, too. I've seen criticism of it because it's racially utopian--Demme should have focused more on the Difficulties in an inter-racial marriage. Seems like that's totally off the mark--I thought part of the point was that the clan was a bit oblivious and above "reality"--like most upper middle class people who primarily work in the Arts. Seemed like a terrifying family of stereotypical NPR listeners to me, though Demme was obviously affectionate toward them, not overtly critical, it was totally believable to me that someone of Kym's temperament would react to her utopian family through acting out the way she did...

...also, I have a huge crush on best man Mather Zickel, to the point where I Facebook friended him. His girlfriend needs someone to sublease her LA condo!

1:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home