short film reviews, criticism, and occasional musing.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Last Year at Marienbad (1961, French)

Last Year at Marienbad is one of those films that I just don't feel smart enough to write anything worthwhile about. This happens pretty often, in fact, but in this case I feel like I have to put something down, because Marienbad blew my mind so completely, and it's one of those things that is generally very hard to see, so I have to recommend it while I can.

When I was about fifteen or sixteen, I came across Marienbad at about 1A.M. on some movie channel or another. I'd read about it, and wanted to see it for myself, but in about five minutes or less, I recognized that I couldn't possibly sit through the entire thing in the middle of the night. About thirteen years later, I finally got back around to it, and now I feel as if I need to see it again (and possibly again) in order to really get it. Though I know that's pretty much impossible - people have been trying to get Marienbad for over forty-five years now, and there have got to be at least a dozen interpretations. I'm such a film nerd - it's exactly up my alley. There's so much obvious influence here on the work of directors like Kubrick and Lynch, both of whom I love. So - more Resnais for the Netflix queue.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I have talked to many o' the film professors at work and yeah...No one has anything to say about it other than, "watch it again."

We MUST see Hiroshima Mon Amour, I have been dying to see it since we covered it in my editing class.

12:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home