short film reviews, criticism, and occasional musing.

Friday, December 21, 2007

I Am Legend (2007, USA)

I saw I Am Legend a few days ago, and must confess that images from the first 2/3 of the film have been haunting me. The production design is amazing, and the bulk of the movie is a wonderful character sketch. I know that it's pretty much unheard-of to nominate an actor from an action film come awards season, but based on what I've actually seen already this year, I would absolutely nominate Will Smith for a Golden Globe over Viggo Mortensen and probably James McAvoy as well. As much as movies like The Pursuit of Happyness turn me off, I can't deny that Smith is an extremely talented actor, but I think it's been since Six Degrees of Separation that I've seen him turn in a performance this good.

Unfortunately, the movie itself can't be saved by the awesome shots of a ruined New York City and Smith's great work. The final third of I Am Legend is a total mess - even if I didn't know how differently the book ends, I would still feel cheated by the cheapness and contrivance of the movie's ending. After keeping himself alive for three years in a post-apocalyptic wilderness by following a rigorous schedule and being almost inhumanly pragmatic, Smith ends up learning that it was really about faith all this time. What? It's a shame - I Am Legend could have been so much more interesting and complex than this, though I doubt it would have brought in such huge box office returns. Perhaps that's the real question here - Will Smith was brave to take on a role as difficult as this, but is he brave enough to sacrifice some of his idol status in order to make a really challenging film? I'm not really blaming Smith here - there were certainly plenty of other culprits in this case, as the film's been planned for production for over a decade - but he continues to make choices that ensure his place in moviegoers' hearts, not their heads.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brdgt said...

I think my deep love of this genre led me to like I Am Legend more than you did, but I still think you are spot on.

My big problem was "why the CGI?" I mean, really, was it necessary? It would have blended in much better with the genre if they just did make-up and some occasional special effects.

Also - I grew up in Bethel, Vermont - that was not Bethel, Vermont. My initial guess was Connecticut, but apparently it was New Jersey.

6:14 PM

 
Blogger molly m. said...

New Jersey! Pft.

I agree with you about the CGI. Especially after some excellent computer graphics in all of the destroyed New York sequences. The mutants looked like cartoons, and again all subtlety was lost.

6:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home